BAKED ZUCCHINI FRIES (GLUTEN-FREE, LOW-CARB)
These baked zucchini fries are ultra cheesy and flavorful with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and an Italian spice blend. They’re also gluten-free, low-carb and keto-friendly for a delicious, healthy snack recipe.
It’s zucchini season! One of my favorite seasons of the year because I’m slightly obsessed with all things zucchini. As a gluten-free gal, zucchini is my “go to” when I’m look for a pasta replacement or even tortilla replacement. It’s such a versatile vegetable. Just take a quick look at my Zucchini Pasta with Lemon Garlic Shrimp, Zucchini Noodle Caprese and Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats.
But today I’ve got a new zucchini recipe for you – a delicious, cheesy, flavorful snack that only requires three ingredients plus some spices – zucchini fries.Most zucchini fries recipes will use traditional breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs for a crispy, crunchy outside. But you can easily avoid that gluten and carbs with a simple replacement – parmesan cheese.
WATCH THIS QUICK VIDEO OF MY ZUCCHINI FRIES RECIPE
This is an easy recipe to make, but there are a few extra tips in the video you don’t want to miss. You can also subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly cooking videos!
NOT ALL PARMESAN CHEESE IS CREATED EQUAL
Unfortunately, not all parmesan cheese is created equal though. For my savvy label readers, you’ll notice that many popular brands of store-bought pre-grated parmesan cheese contain cellulose. Cellulose is an anti-caking additive derived from wood pulp. Would you like a side of wood pulp with your cheese?!
This was actually quite controversial a few years ago because it was found that those cheap brands of grated parmesan cheese not only contained more “filler” than indicated, they also may have used lesser quality cheeses to bulk up the product.
Needless to say, it’s easy to avoid all that nonsense by simply grating your own. Just look for cheese that’s labeled Parmigiano-Reggiano on the rind. This is a legal designation that guarantees you’re getting the real deal, high quality, Italian cheese.
For Ingredients And Complete Cooking Instructions Please Head On Over To Next Page Or Open button (>) and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends
US Customary – Metric
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian spice
Lemon Parsley Aioli (optional)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp, finely chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Slice the zucchini in half, then half again, then into quarters. You should have 16 slices per zucchini.
- Crack the egg in a small bowl or container and lightly beat it.
- Add the parmesan and spices to a separate bowl or container and stir to combine.
- Dip a slice of zucchini in the egg wash and transfer to the parmesan. Use your other hand to coat the zucchini in the cheese and transfer to the baking tray. Repeat this process until all zucchini are coated.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through on the cut side. Serve immediately.
- To make the optional lemon parsley aioli, add all ingredients to a small bowl and stir together.
- See all of the notes in the post above and make sure to watch the video for step-by-step instructions.
- And if you still have more zucchini to use up, you should definitely whip up my Paleo Zucchini Bread recipe.