For the Cranberry Cake Crust:
• 5 tablespoons of butter (70 grams)
• 2/3 cup (140 grams) light brown sugar
• 8 oz. (227 grams) fresh cranberries
For the cake batter:
• 1 1/3 cups (200 grams) flour
• 2 teaspoons of baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon of salt
• 1/2 cup of butter (113 grams)
• 1 cup (200 grams) of sugar
• 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
• 2 large eggs
• 1/2 cup of milk (125 ml)
• 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar
Prepare the cake:
• Grease and flour a 9 inch (22 -23 cm) spring pan.
• Wash the cranberries, check for spoiled ones and if you find some, throw them away.
• Melt the butter in a small sauce pan, add the sugar and stir until the sugar has started to caramelize.
• Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, sprinkle evenly the cranberries on top.
• Mix the flour with baking powder and salt using a whisk.
• Beat the butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
• Add the vanilla extract and scrape the sides to make sure that the batter is mixed evenly.
• Add the egg yolks, one at a time. Mix well.
• Add 1/3 of the flour, then half of the milk, then again 1/3 of the flour, milk, and the rest of the flour.
• Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they hold stiff peaks when the beater is slightly raised.
• Using a spatula, fold the egg whites into the cake batter.
• Pour the cake batter onto the cranberry-sugar butter bottom.
• Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 25-35 minutes.