- 2 meaty ham bones
- 2 cups dry Great Northern beans
- 2 cups celery chopped
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8-9 cups chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- Prepare dried beans by soaking them in cold water for 8-10 hours, then drain and rinse.
- Place all ingredients in your slow cooker, except salt.
- Heat on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove ham bone. Chop ham from bone and return to slow cooker. Cover until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt. The beans may already be salty enough. So taste the beans before adding salt.