1 hour 30 minutes to prepare serves 8-10
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee, optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease two 9-inch cake pans with butter or non-stick spray.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, then whisk in water, oil, vinegar, coffee, and vanilla.
- Stir until no lumps remain, then pour mixture evenly into greased cake pans.
- Place in oven and bake for 24-26 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While cake bakes, make frosting by whisking together powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a large bowl or mixer.
- Add water, softened butter and vanilla extract, and beat together until smooth and creamy. Add more sugar for a thicker frosting and more water for a thinner frosting.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool before frosting.