1 hour 30 minutes to prepare serves 10-12
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 (14 oz.) can condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease 2 round cake pans, depending on desired thickness of cake.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat sugar and shortening together for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla extract until incorporated, then mix in milk and dry ingredients, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour cakes into greased baking rounds and place in oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Combine brown sugar, sugar, butter and condensed milk in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring continuously until thickened.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and stir in vanilla extra and sea salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until thickened. Let cool slightly until warm and thickened, then assemble bottom cake layer and pour 2/3-3/4 cup icing over.
- Top with second cake layer and pour frosting over the top of cake, letting it coat the sides. (If using three layers, divide icing appropriately.)
- Slice, serve and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Vernalisa’s Recipe Board