45-50 minutes to prepare serves 6
- For the fruit mixture:
- 2 cups of sliced canned or fresh apricots or peaches
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- For the batter:
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and line the base of a 8-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, toss the apricots with cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- For the batter, combine flour, softened 3/4 cup butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl, then stir until well combined, but careful not over mix.
- Pour and spread half of the batter over the bottom of the prepared pan then spread the apricot mixture, sprinkling the cubed butter over it evenly.
- Spread the rest of the batter over the top.
- Place in oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until light golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 mins, then remove from the tin.
- Cut into squares and serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.