Certainly! Here’s a homemade glazed doughnut recipe that will yield delicious, fluffy doughnuts with a sweet glaze:
For the Doughnuts:
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (about 110°F or 45°C)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (about 110°F or 45°C)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
For the Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Activate the Yeast:
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water and yeast. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it becomes foamy.
2. Mix the Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm milk, sugar, and salt.
- Add the yeast mixture, eggs, and softened butter. Mix until well combined.
- Gradually add the flour and mix until a soft, sticky dough forms.
3. Knead the Dough:
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead it for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Add more flour if necessary to prevent sticking.
4. First Rise:
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for 1-1.5 hours or until it has doubled in size.
5. Roll and Cut:
- Once the dough has risen, roll it out on a floured surface to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Use a doughnut cutter or a round cutter and a smaller one for the holes to cut out doughnuts and doughnut holes.
6. Second Rise:
- Place the cut doughnuts and holes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover them with a clean kitchen towel and let them rise for about 30 minutes.
7. Heat the Oil:
- In a deep, heavy-bottomed pot, heat about 2-3 inches of vegetable oil to 350-375°F (175-190°C).
8. Fry the Doughnuts:
- Carefully place a few doughnuts at a time into the hot oil.
- Fry for about 1-2 minutes per side, or until they are golden brown.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the doughnuts and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
9. Make the Glaze:
- In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until you have a smooth glaze.
10. Glaze the Doughnuts: – While the doughnuts are still warm, dip them into the glaze, covering them completely. – Place the glazed doughnuts on a wire rack to allow any excess glaze to drip off.
11. Serve: – Let the glaze set for a few minutes, and then serve your homemade glazed doughnuts while they’re still fresh and delicious!
Enjoy your homemade glazed doughnuts! They’re perfect for breakfast or as a sweet treat anytime.