- ▢1 pound grass-fed ground beef, I use 85%
- ▢1 pound ground pork
- ▢1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ▢1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ▢28 ounce can of low carb tomato sauce
- ▢2 whole eggs
- ▢⅓ cup heavy cream
- ▢3 cloves garlic, minced & divided
- ▢3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped & divided
- ▢⅓ cup white wine, I use Pinot Grigio – or chicken stock
- ▢Salt and pepper to taste
- ▢olive oil , for coating the pan
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Add eggs, heavy cream, 2 cloves of garlic, parmesan cheese and half the basil to and mix well. Add in the ground beef and pork and mix just until combined, do not over-mix.
- Using an ice cream , scoop out mixture into your hand, form the meatballs and place them on a backing lined with parchement paper . Wet your hands periodically, to prevent them from sticking to your hands. Bake for 10 minutes or until firm enough to hold their shape.
- Remove the pan from the oven, turn the oven off and transfer the meatballs to an oven-safe skillet that has a drizzle of olive oil in it. Put the pan on the stovetop over medium heat and sauté for a few minutes on each side to brown. Remove the meatballs from the pan and set on a plate.
- Drain off most of the fat, then add in the remaining clove of garlic. Sauté for about 20 seconds, careful not to brown it. Deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping up the brown bits. Continue cooking until the liquid has reduced by half. Stir in the tomato sauce, remaining basil, salt and pepper.
- Add the meatballs back in and cook (covered) for another 45 minutes on medium low or until tender. Preheat the oven to 425F. Add the cheese over the top and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. Garnish with fresh basil and serve over zoodles, spaghetti squash or with some veggies on the side.