- 2-3 large red onions, white are okay too, red = better colour
- 3 tbsp veg oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cardamom pods (optional)
- 700g lamb, bone in, I used a mix of shoulder and leg
- 2-3 green chillies, whole
- A big bunch of coriander, chopped
- 1-2 green chillies, chopped
For the marinade:
- 4 tbsp full fat yoghurt
- 2 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- To a large bowl, add your lamb and then all the ingredients for the marinade, mix it all together really well and put it aside.
- In your pressure cooker, heat up oil and butter, add onions and fry them until they’ve browned. Then you need to puree them, I like using a hand blender, processor is fine too.
- Turn the heat up to medium/high and add the cardamom and lamb, stir fry it for a good 2-3 mins before adding whole green chillies.
- Turn the heat to medium and add about a cup of water, the lamb should be 50-60% covered, not completely submerged. Let it come to a boil, then add fresh coriander.
- Turn the heat down and pop the pressure cooker’s lid on, securing it completely.
- Let it cook for 13-15 mins, then, turn the heat off and let the steam out completely. Take the lid off and give it all a good mix.There should still be a fair amount of liquid in there, reduce it till the sauce has thickened to your liking.
- To finish, sprinkle on fresh chopped coriander and green chillies.