6 slices rye bread, divided
1 pound pastrami or corned beef, thinly sliced or shaved
1 (14.5 oz.) can sauerkraut
4 cups Swiss Cheese, shredded
1 cup dill pickles, chopped
1 cup milk
1/3 cup Thousand Island dressing
1/4 cup mustard
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9×11-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- Take four pieces of rye bread and cut them into cubes. Place remaining bread in food processor, pulse until you’ve got fine breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Spread cubed bread out along the bottom of your baking dish, then cover with 1/2 of pastrami. Top beef with sauerkraut, pickles, half of caraway seeds and 2 cups cheese.
- Cover with remaining beef, caraway seeds and cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, salad dressing and mustard, then beat in eggs until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients evenly over the casserole, then top with breadcrumbs.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly, top is browned and center is set.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Cheese Cutters Corner