40 minutes to prepare serves 18-22
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 4 1/2-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 13×18-inch cake pan with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and salt).
- In a separate, large bowl, stir together sugar, water, melted butter, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla and almond extracts until combined.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just incorporated, then pour mixture into greased cake pan.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 18-21 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, whisk together all frosting ingredients except for the sliced almonds until frosting is smooth and desired consistency is reached.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool 5 minutes, then pour icing over the cake and cover with sliced almonds. Let set, then slice into squares and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from The Novice Chef Blog