Apple bread is one of my favorite sweet breads in the whole wide world.
Yes, I am partial to banana and pumpkin loaves, too, but there is just something special about a sweet apple bread that gets my heart pounding. Maybe it’s because it reminds me of the apple orchard I used to go to as a young girl. I always loved going to this place. The smells of the cider and cinnamon doughnuts cooking were heavenly. Do you have any childhood memories that are invoked by food?
Once I got older, married, and had a few little ones of my own, I would take my kids to the very same apple orchard.
My son, when he was about three, would swipe apples and take little bites out of it before I could stop him. Luckily, I knew the owner and she always laughed it off. I’d buy my apples and we would head on home to bake this bread. Sweet memories! I can’t believe how fast the years are flying by!
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
COUNTRY APPLE FRITTER BREAD RECIPE
- 1/3 CUP Light brown sugar
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 2/3 CUP White sugar
- 1/2 CUP Butter, softened
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 CUPS All-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 CUP Milk
- 2 Apples, peeled and chopped (any kind)
OLD-FASHIONED CREME GLAZE
- 1/2 CUP Powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp of milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Use a 9×5-inch loaf pan and spray with non-stick spray or line with foil and spray with non-stick spray to get out easily for slicing.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In another medium-sized bowl, beat white sugar and butter together using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until blended in; add in vanilla extract.
- Combine & whisk flour and baking powder together in another bowl and add into creamed butter mixture and stir until blended.
- Mix milk into batter until smooth.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan; add half the apple mixture, then half the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Lightly pat apple mixture into batter.
- Pour the remaining batter over apple layer and top with remaining apple mixture, then the remaining brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Lightly pat apples into batter; swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using knife or spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, approximately 50-60 minutes.
- To make glaze, mix powdered sugar and milk or cream together until well mixed.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before drizzling with glaze.